Fire guts Virginia home

A FIRE that destroyed a family home in Virginia on Monday is believed to have been started by children playing with matches.
A mother and two of her children were inside the Gawler Road property when the blaze, which is believed to have caused more than $250,000 damage, started at around 2pm.
All three family members were able to evacuate the home safely, before being taken to the Lyell McEwin Hospital where they were treated for minor smoke inhalation.
CFS crews arrived with the home completely engulfed in flames, and soon after their arrival the roof of the home collapsed.
A CFS volunteer on the scene said the fire “spread quickly”, however CFS crews were able to stop the fire from spreading to nearby properties.
One CFS firefighter was monitored for heat exhaustion as the blaze completely gutted the inside of the home.
Property owner Matthew Walker said he received a call from his partner, Jade, while he was at work and was “thankful” nobody was hurt.
Neighbour Kaye Frick said she didn’t even notice anything was wrong until her husband alerted her to the smoke.
“We didn’t notice the smoke at all because we were all locked inside with the air-conditioner on,” she said.
“My husband said he saw smoke so we jumped outside because we’ve got lots of trees nearby and didn’t want it to spread.”

Tom Staggard

@

Born and raised in Adelaide's northern suburbs, Tom attended Tyndale Christian School in Salisbury East before studying journalism at the University of South Australia. Tom joined The Bunyip in June 2017 after previously working in the Adelaide Hills for The Courier newspaper in Mount Barker and the Weekender Herald in Crafers. As part of his role, Tom will cover the Adelaide Plains and Playford council regions. Away from work, he is a massive sports fan and loves all things football, cricket, basketball and soccer.

Related posts

Top