Killer sentenced

HILLIER triple murderer Steven Graham Peet has been jailed for at least 30 years after receiving a 10 per cent reduction to his non-parole period for pleading guilty to the 2016 killings.

Peet, 32, was affixed a 30-year non-parole period by Justice Malcolm Blue in the Supreme Court on Friday to his three life imprisonment sentences for pleading guilty to the murders of Adeline

Yvette Wilson-Rigney, 28, Amber Rose Rigney, six, and Korey Lee Mitchell, five, at their Hillier home in May 2016.

Justice Blue sentenced Peet to a 33-year non-parole period on the basis that he formed an intention to kill Ms Wilson-Rigney and, although he could have been considered mentally unfit when

he killed the two children, this did not prevent an intention to kill them.

Continued from front page “It is, obviously, very difficult for anyone to comprehend how a person in your position could kill a six-yearold girl and five-year-old boy in the manner in which you

did, and given your previous relationship with them,” Justice Blue said.

However, Justice Blue accepted that Peet was “genuinely remorseful” and will “live for the rest of your life with an overwhelming sense of shame and guilt” when considering a 10 per cent reduction

in the sentence for his guilty plea.

Despite taking into consideration whether allowing  a credit for the guilty plea would “be so disproportionate to the seriousness of the offence…that it would shock the public conscience”, Justice

Blue determined that a 30-year non-parole period – backdated to when he was taken into custody on May 30, 2016 – was appropriate.

The sentence finalised an almost eight-month-long court case, in which Peet initially pleaded guilty only to Ms Wilson-Rigney’s murder in August last year, before finally entering guilty pleas

for the children’s murders in January.

During the proceedings, the court heard Peet hit Ms Wilson- Rigney in the head with a crowbar at least six times and strangled her with cable ties, after she began hitting him with a vacuum cleaner pole following an argument on the morning of May 30, 2016.

Peet then placed cable ties around both Amber and Korey’s necks, before leaving them to suffocate.


Matteo Gagliardi joined The Bunyip in August 2016 with almost two years experience in regional print media, having previously worked at a community newspaper in Swan Hill, Victoria. Covering politics, local government and crime, Matteo likes to sink his teeth into hard-hitting issues, but also enjoys spending time getting to know the Gawler community. Matteo also has a passion for science, agriculture and the environment, and has previously worked as a media officer at the Australian Science Media Centre.