Local bus services modified

LOCAL Adelaide Metro bus services will be modified as of this Sunday, after a Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure review found off-peak services were not being sufficiently utilised.

Under the changes, off-peak services on the 493 and 494 bus routes will be delivered on a demand basis, rather than via the current fixed time and route system.

Residents who live greater than 500 metres from fixed route services, or those who have a medical exemption, can book the new on-demand bus – to be called the 495 route – and catch it at any bus station within the designated bus zone.

Peak-time services remain unchanged, as do all services on routes 491, 492A and 492C.

Member for Light Tony Piccolo said the new services are designed to respond to two key criticisms from the local community: that the services are not flexible enough, and that some services have too little usage.

“These changes will deliver a better outcome for Gawler taxpayers,” Mr Piccolo said.

“Peak-time services were working very well, however off-peak services were not attracting enough patrons.

“It is critical that we maintain a sustainable public transport service in the town to ensure that people can access basic services, like visiting a doctor, and participate in community activities.”

The on-demand 495 service will operate 6am-7pm Mondays to Thursdays, 6am- 10pm Fridays, 9am-10pm Saturdays and 9am-3pm Sundays, and can be booked by calling SouthLink (for free) on 1300 642 604 an hour before it’s needed.

According to Mr Piccolo, the savings made from the fixed route services have been reinvested into the new demand response services.

“As a result of the new measures, Seniors Card holders will be able to travel free to connect to trains or travel into the township at no cost,” he said.

“Any user with an approved medical condition can apply for a medical exemption to be eligible for a door-to-door service.

“The demand-driven services will be extended to weekends, and Adelaide Metro pricing and concessions will apply to the service.”

More information about the changes can be found online at adelaidemetro.com.au, or by phoning 1300 311 108.

@

Matteo Gagliardi joined The Bunyip in August 2016 with almost two years experience in regional print media, having previously worked at a community newspaper in Swan Hill, Victoria. Covering politics, local government and crime, Matteo likes to sink his teeth into hard-hitting issues, but also enjoys spending time getting to know the Gawler community. Matteo also has a passion for science, agriculture and the environment, and has previously worked as a media officer at the Australian Science Media Centre.

Related posts

Top